Day 24: A Movie From Your Childhood

THE GOONIES (1985)

I struggled with this choice, not for any other reason than Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory fought for this spot as well. Both movies were big in my childhood, but The Goonies won out over the sugary sweet Wonka because of the adventure. This was also made back in the day where PG films were actually good. Today this film would have been PG-13 and it would have pushed the limits of the censor board.

I can't remember how many times I saw this movie as a child, but I know that I still watch it repeatedly as an adult and it's hardly aged a bit. What kid wouldn't want to go on an adventure to seek a lost pirate treasure and save his home town? This movie perfectly embodies the adventurous kid spirit - and is the perfect recipe for a rainy day (although watching any other time is just as suitable).

Chunk: "Everything. OK! I'll talk! In third grade, I cheated on my history exam. In fourth grade, I stole my uncle Max's toupee and I glued it on my face when I was Moses in my Hebrew School play. In fifth grade, I knocked my sister Edie down the stairs and I blamed it on the dog... When my mom sent me to the summer camp for fat kids and then they served lunch I got nuts and I pigged out and they kicked me out... But the worst thing I ever done - I mixed a pot of fake puke at home and then I went to this movie theater, hid the puke in my jacket, climbed up to the balcony and then, t-t-then, I made a noise like this: hua-hua-hua-huaaaaaaa - and then I dumped it over the side, all over the people in the audience. And then, this was horrible, all the people started getting sick and throwing up all over each other. I never felt so bad in my entire life."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NYC in Films - My Personal Favorites

Painting with Shadows and Light

ReBONDing: Never Say Never Again