Day 19: A Movie Featuring Your Favorite Villain

SILENCE OF THE LAMBS (1991)

I could have gone the easy route: Darth Vader. I could have gone the more obscure route too, and mention one that you haven't thought about in years: Annie Wilkes in Misery. But the reason why I chose Hannibal Lecter is really due to how well his character has been crafted not only first by Thomas Harris (the book is brilliant, by the way), but then how well he was transitioned onto film by Anthony Hopkins, Ted Tally and Jonathan Demme.

You hate to love him and love to hate him and you realize why his victims were drawn to him in the first place. I can't help but like him just a little, even if he is insane. He's well-educated, charming... and downright creepy. He knows what you're thinking before you're even thinking it and he's 17 steps ahead of you, because he's a genius. And he's all about mutual respect (most of the time). Show him respect and he shows you respect. Disrespect him and you might end up on his dinner plate. How's that for the perfect villain?

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NYC in Films - My Personal Favorites

Painting with Shadows and Light

ReBONDing: Never Say Never Again