Music To Write By...

In between my search for new or temporary employment (yes, again, I know), I've decided to spend 1-2 hours each day writing.  I've always had an interest in writing, especially in the past few years as I've learned to write scripts with a partner (James Falcon) as well as branch out on my own and attempt some short fiction.

Writing is not a simple task--at least for me--and sometimes I have to help myself set the mood.  Or I have to motivate myself in some way shape or form. Sometimes, for example, if I finish this one page, then I reward myself with being able to read my book for 30 minutes or I can watch some television.  Rewarding myself doesn't come very often, since most of the time I find that when I finish a segment, page or chapter, I already feel a sense of accomplishment and that's a reward all by itself.

What I've discovered recently, however, is that sometimes it's hard to start. I may have a deep down desire to write today, but that doesn't mean that I won't sit in front of the computer for 30 or 45 minutes staring blankly at the blinking cursor in MS Word. Sometimes the spirit is very willing but the brain is stuck in park. Just because I've put gas in the car doesn't mean I'm going anywhere if my engine has seized.

That's why I almost always have to have some kind of music playing in the background. Anyone who's seen my film score library would already know I'm a film score/soundtrack nut, but not every soundtrack works for me when writing; on the other hand, most of them are perfect for reading.

When selecting music to write by, it has to meet at least one specific requirement or style of music. It either has to be an inspirational yet non-intrusive film score or it must be music that has a forceful rhythmic drive, causing my brain to work like a machine. Every day is different, and sometimes I can spend a good portion of time just trying to select the right style to remove my brain from park and to get moving.

This also isn't a guaranteed formula, but what I've come to discover is that it usually works 8 out of every 10 times. Occasionally it's just music that I need, but those instances are rare. Here's a brief list of music that I like to write by:

The Social Network Soundtrack
Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross

It's not your traditional soundtrack by any means, but I had to acquired this album after seeing the film. Already being familiar with Trent Reznor, I knew exactly what to expect, and most of his work with Nine Inch Nails is also very good for getting my brain moving. This score fills both roles for what I look for in music to write by.  For a sample of this soundtrack, please click here.

Blade Runner Soundtrack
Vangelis

If you've ever heard the theme from Chariots of Fire, then you know Vangelis. Known in the industry primarily for his heavily synthesized music, he also created two iconic film score in the 1980s.  While Chariots of Fire is still widely known today, with it's score playing in my head while running in slow motion, especially on the beach, (and I love the soundtrack, too) I find the work he did for Ridley Scott to be superior. For a sample of this soundtrack, please click here.

Road to Perdition Soundtrack
Thomas Newman

Probably one of my favorite film composers of recent years is Thomas Newman who has several brilliant scores under his belt, including American Beauty and The Shawshank Redemption. This score is my personal favorite of his most recent work; a beautiful melancholy score that unobtrusively inspires me while I write. For a sample of this soundtrack, please click here.

A Serious Man Soundtrack
Carter Burwell

Overlooked by the Academy for over 25 years, Carter Burwell has provided some of the best minimalist scores I've ever heard. Primarily used by the Coen Brothers, his score for A Serious Man is one of his best, where the mood is very haunting yet inviting, and is as mysterious as the film's ending. For a sample of this soundtrack, please click here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NYC in Films - My Personal Favorites

Painting with Shadows and Light

ReBONDing: Never Say Never Again