Remembering Robin Williams

After learning of the recent passing of comedian, actor and iconic legend Robin Williams, it's hard to try and fit his entire career into just five roles. Just five movies. I'm sure that's why I'll most likely have an "honorable mentions" list at the bottom. However, before I start, I just wanted to share what Robin Williams meant to me.


For over three decades Robin Williams was the shining beacon of humor and humanity. He was the literal embodiment of pure joy and silliness. He made it okay for you to just be yourself. He never shied away from the public eye, openly admitting his struggles with drugs and alcohol -- and his success to overcome them. He made me realize that great comedic actors could seamlessly transition into dramatic roles, as long as they were right for the part. He's made me laugh so hard that my stomach hurt. But he has also made me cry, whether it was due to laughter, or his uncanny ability to pull at my heart strings with some of his most brilliant performances. He has left a great void and it will be nearly impossible for anyone to fill his shoes. Thank you for the joy you've graciously given of yourself for all these years. You will be greatly missed.

My wife posted this in response to Robin's passing, which seemed most appropriate to share:
"But only in their dreams can men truly be free. 'Twas always thus, and always thus will be." - Dead Poets Society 
Depression is so much more than feeling sad. If you enjoyed any of Robin Williams's work, take time to learn learn more about the disease so you can recognize it in those around you. Speaking from experience, you'll be able to recognize it well before the sufferer will.
Aladdin was never in the forefront of influential Robin Williams films for me, but The Academy shared a three word tweet in honor of Mr. Williams passing. I don't know about you, but it's hard for not to get a little misty-eyed when reading it:


Here are my Top 5 Favorite Robin Williams Films, in no particular order.

___________________

GOOD WILL HUNTING (1997)

This is quite possibly my favorite performance of his entire career. Williams plays Sean Maguire, a community college instructor and psychologist who helps break through Will Hunting's defenses as a troubled youth. I don't think he peaked here professionally, but this was by far one of his most relatable characters (at least to me). I can identify with the love he has for his wife. Seeing the beauty of her in the little things. It is his most personal performance, and because of that, it is my favorite. (Please be advised that the language in the clip below is NSFW.)


____________________

GOOD MORNING, VIETNAM (1987)

If memory serves me correctly, Good Morning, Vietnam was one of the first R-rated Robin Williams films I was allowed to see with my parents. If you know my parents, you'll understand the significance. What I love most about Williams's portrayal of Adrian Cronauer -- regardless of how accurate that portrayal was -- is learning much later on that almost everything that Robin did for the radio broadcasts were completely improvised. Anyone who possessed that kind of improvisational talent and spontaneity just blew my mind. Some of his radio broadcasts are quite over-the-top (and rightfully so), but just hearing the words "Good Morning, Vietnam!" always brings a smile to my face.

"It's 0600 hours. What does the "O" stand for? O my God, it's early!"


____________________

DEAD POETS SOCIETY (1989)

It was every high school student's dream to wind up with a teacher like John Keating: an instructor who was fun, broke the "traditional rules" of a potentially tedious English class, all while respecting the subject material and inspiring you, the student. On a scale from 1-to-10, Robin Williams's exuberance and flair can usually hit somewhere around 27. In Dead Poets Society, he never went past 3 due to the controlled, skilled and perfectly executed direction of Peter Weir, who labeled the film's character "Robin Keating", as he wanted the scripted character to be "shaded with 15 percent of Williams' own off-the-cuff dialog." The end result worked brilliantly, catapulting Williams into the newer realm of major dramatic roles while also earning him his second Academy Award Nomination.


____________________

ONE HOUR PHOTO (2002)

In One Hour Photo, Williams sank his teeth into the role of Sy Parrish, a photo technician at SavMart. Williams dug down deep into the psyche of a broken man who longed for family -- unfortunately to the point of obsession and madness. The film is a perfectly fine-tuned dark psychological thriller -- and most of that is due to Williams's performance.


____________________

THE BIRDCAGE (1996)

It was very difficult picking the final film, if only for the fact that I had to place everything else below the line on the honorable mentions list. However, I believe I've chosen wisely. While The Birdcage was never on my radar for more than a brief period of time during it's original release date, the film has grown on me through time and repeat viewings. Robin Williams portrays Armand Goldman, a gay night club owner who -- with his partner Albert -- attempt to play it straight to impress their son's soon-to-be in-laws. Williams plays the character perfectly, never too flamboyant and always realistically down to earth, balancing the fine line between an endearing and concerned father and the charming openly gay club owner. (Please be advised that the language in the clip below is NSFW.)



HONORABLE MENTIONS:

POPEYE (1980)
Outside of "Mork & Mindy", this was probably my first introduction to Robin Williams. While the film is a bit of a train wreck at times, Williams's depiction of the cartoon sailor man is spot on.


HOOK (1991)
Who else could they have chosen to play an adult-version of Peter Pan?


MRS. DOUBTFIRE (1993)
Only Robin Williams could pull off the role of a desperate father dressed in drag as an old English nanny in an attempts to spend time with his children.Who else could they have chosen to play an adult-version of Peter Pan?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NYC in Films - My Personal Favorites

Painting with Shadows and Light

ReBONDing: Never Say Never Again