Sweet & Savory Pork Chops


For months now I've struggled to maintain a consistent weekly menu for having supper at home. And while Lisa and I don't have a heaping pile of responsibilities on the home front right now -- outside of keeping Amity in line -- I'll be the first to admit that I do not manage my time well once arriving home after work.

This past Sunday I created this week's menu consisting entirely of using the slow cooker. While the weather easily permits more slow cooker recipes, Lisa wasn't exactly jumping for joy about the possibility of eating every meal this week out of of a bowl. To be fair to her (as well as myself), I had to put in some variety, so every dish wasn't a soup or variation of a chili or stew.

After another successfully executed African Chicken Peanut Stew on Sunday, Monday required a dish that strayed from the soup/stew pack. After altering a recipe I found online, and giving a better name than, "slow cooker pork chops," I introduce to you my Sweet & Savory Pork Chops. With the inclusion of soy, ginger and garlic in the sauce, this meal conveys mild Asian flavors that compliment the pork without overpowering it.


SWEET & SAVORY PORK CHOPS

Ingredients Needed:
  • 6 Boneless Pork Chops
  • 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
  • 1/2 cup Ketchup
  • 1/2 cup Soy Sauce
  • 1 tsp Ground Ginger
  • 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flake
  • 2 Galic Cloves, Minced
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
  • Broccoli Slaw or Cabbage, sliced thin (optional)
Cooking Directions:
  1. Place pork chops in crock pot
  2. Mix brown sugar, ketchup, soy sauce, ginger and garlic until blended; pour over.
  3. Cook on low for 6-8 hours
  4. Steam the broccoli slaw/cabbage until the desired tenderness is achieved
  5. Serve over steamed brown rice
Additional suggestions I might add in the cooking process are as follows:

  • If you have the time, mix the ingredients the night before and let the pork marinade in them all night.
  • If the sauce isn't thick enough when you're ready to serve, it might be ideal to move it to another pot and place on high until it's reduced enough to where it's sticking somewhat to the spoon.
  • Depending on the size of your pork chops, this recipe will yield about 4-6 servings.

Give yourself enough time to prep and cook the vegetables. While the photo posted with this recipe states otherwise, the mild crunch from the broccoli slaw or cabbage will contrast nicely with the unbelievably tender pork. Also, you don't have to serve it in a bowl... but I was being lazy last night and felt it necessary to keep the sauce at bay for better coverage on the rice.

Stay hungry... and may the fork be with you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NYC in Films - My Personal Favorites

Painting with Shadows and Light

ReBONDing: Never Say Never Again