Roasted Chestnuts, Vol. 1

'Tis the season to make at least one more post before we close the book on 2010 and what better way to celebrate than with my favorite Christmas Songs.

Now this list is anything but traditional, but you'll find a few sprinkled throughout, along with a couple of classics.  Last year I may have written something with a similar flair, but I implore you to read on as this will not be the same post re-hashed with just 50% new material.

When I sat down to make this list, the first thing that came to mind was a conversation I had with Lisa. As we reminisced about our favorite songs, we came to the realization that the ones that are highly regarded as genuine "Christmas Classics" (specifically of the 1940s and 1950s) were considered very modern at the time of their initial release.  So, when you hear the "Next Generation X-mas Tunes" that plague the pop radio airwaves today, one could very well argue that they might be acknowledged as modern classics 50 years from now.

It's hard to imagine that songs released over this past decade (or even a bit farther back if you strain your ears) by the likes of Lady GaGa, Maria Carey, 'N Sync, David Archuleta, Now That's What I Call Christmas 4 or even the Glee Christmas Album could ever be considered to join the standard ranks of holiday hits by, Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby, Johnny Mathis, Dean Martin, or even the more modern Amy Grant or The Carpenters.

I'll even admit that some of the songs that I heard, while growing up in the 1980s, are starting to sound a lot like "Modern Christmas Classics" more and more, and probably would be labeled as such if I were armed with a Brother P-touch.  So, it'll be hard to argue with the youth of today that their Christmas music will never be considered a classic in any sense of the word.

So, without further adieu, here's my list of some of my favorite Christmas songs, in no particular order.  Feel free to click on the title to hear the song.


The song was originally recorded for the first time back in 1946, but it's the fourth and final stereophonic re-recording in 1961 that's the true masterpiece.  Crooned by the timeless Nat King Cole, the song was written in 1944 by Mel Tormé and Bob Wells and is commonly subtitled "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire," or by its original subtitle "Merry Christmas to You."  According to BMI, it's the most-performed Christmas song ever recorded.

Album: Christmastime

I'll admit that I'm going to re-hash exactly what I wrote on this song last year if only for the reason that it's written so well...

Written by Joanna Carlson and Michael W. Smith in 1998, 'Christmastime' sounds more like a modern day carol than a pop song. It encompasses the lyrical and melodic beauty of heaven and earth rejoicing the arrival of the Son of God. I could listen to this song a dozen times a day and never grow weary of hearing it. ‘Welcome to Our World’ and the instrumental ‘Hope of Israel’ are two additional Christmas gems, all located on the same album.


I have yet to tolerate an entire album by Trans-Siberian Orchestra, but almost every instrumental track that they've produced I've been inclined to seek out and give it a listen.  This track was my first introduction to the group many several years ago but even after all of the time that has past I still find this track quite enchanting as it blends 'God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen' and 'Carol of the Bells' with a symphony rock punch to the gut.


This instrumental track invokes of what fun Christmas can be.  A blend of progressive rock, symphonic metal, and influences of classical music, 'Wizards in Winter' was set to a Christmas light show back in 2005 by an electrical engineer from Ohio who took two months to dressed his home in 16,000 lights.  The result is an amazing home light show that you can see when you click on the song's link above.


Originally broadcast as a television special in 1979, A Christmas Together was a brilliant collaboration of Jim Henson's genius and the warmth of John Denver's voice and lyrics. Together they bring to life a simple, yet charmingly sweet story of Alfie, a Christmas tree who doesn't want to leave the forest until it realizes that there are children who still don't know the joys Christmas.


Know as one of the most popular and best-selling singles of all-time exceeding 50 million copies worldwide, 'White Christmas' was written by Irving Berlin and became a huge hit in 1942 after appearing in the film Holiday Inn, including winning the Academy Award that year for Best Original Song.  The song's imagery resonated strongly with the U.S. soldiers abroad during the European Campaign in World World II, many who hadn't ever been away from home until now.  Crosby's coolly-crystal vocals give me chills almost every time I hear it.

Next year I'll probably post second volume to this list, but until then, I wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Until next year, dear readers...

(This post would have been much longer if work hadn't gotten in the way, which is a very good thing considering the way things had been going this year.  Hence the reason for the adding of 'Vol. I' to the post title.  Lisa and I have been very blessed and very fortunate this year with my hit-and-miss employment ventures, so I'll gladly use the excuse of a bountiful paycheck which kept me from an extended list post any time.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NYC in Films - My Personal Favorites

Painting with Shadows and Light

ReBONDing: Never Say Never Again